The Russian doll is an American comedy-drama series that revolves around the story of a woman called Nadia Vulvokov, who is a video game producer. On her 36th birthday, she finds herself stuck in a video game loop. It explores themes like alcoholism, drug-addiction, existentialist crisis, and trauma. It has received positive feedback from the viewers as well as critics alike. One of the reasons why it got nominated 4 times for the prime time Emmy Awards. The Russian Doll season 2 is likely to be released very soon.
Russian Doll Release Date
In a tweet on June 11, 2019, Netflix announces the arrival of The Russian Doll season 2. Since then there have been no further updates on the show. As it is quite understandable that because of the ongoing pandemic the production of a lot of TV shows and movies has been delayed. Although filming of season 2 kicked off in May 2002 which means we would be able to watch it in Feb 2021 at the earliest.
- You May Be Interested In: The inspiration behind Russian Doll, how was it written?
When can we see the trailer?
The release of the trailer is to be expected one month prior to that of the show. Meanwhile, here’s a trailer of season 1 for you to recap what happened earlier:
Cast of Russian Doll season 2
We can expect the return of a lot of character from season 1 in season 2. Though it would be much better if the show introduces a few new characters to focus on-
- Natasha Lyonne as Nadia Vulvokov Natasha is the beating heart of the show without which it would be almost impossible for the storyline to continue. Her brash and bruised persona is what that has kept the show running. She is also the exec producer, one of the directors and one of the writers along with Headland and Amy Poehler
- We also expect her fellow loop partner Charlie Benett as Alan Zaveri to be in the show. Although we can’t be so sure until we know if Charlie will join Nadia in the second round.
- The show might also introduce Nadia’s troubled mother Lenora Vulvokov at some point. We get a glimpse of her in the finale of season 1
- Nadia’s friends Maxine (Greta Lee) and Lizzy (Rebecca Henderson) could also play a part.
- Elizabeth Ashley as Ruth Brenner
- Yul Vazquez as John Reyes
What to expect in the upcoming season?
Towards the end of the season of Russian Doll, who would have thought that there would be Season 2 to it. As we gather from Headland who had confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter: “We pitched Netflix three seasons of the most bonkers, heartfelt, passionate, this-is-what-we-truly-feel-like-is-our-story-to-tell idea…and they said: ‘Great, the more of that the better.'”
In season 1, Nadia keeps waking up after dying in a repetitive loop. She shares the situation with Charlie Bernett portrayed by Alan Zaveri. The show ends with Nadia and Alan stuck in two different timelines.
In Russian Doll season 2, get ready for more drama, mystery, and some unexpected twists. Although the writers have kept their mouth shut on what the season 2 plot entails.
Here’s what Headland says on season 1’s inception: “What you see is a character that’s going after a spiritual or an existential goal, as opposed to one that has to do with something external that’s within the world or defined by someone else.”
Maybe we could encounter more intense soul-searching and the quest for truth. Nadia could help someone else bring back their self-belief. We don’t know anything for sure, but are so eager to find it out as soon as possible!!
In his interview with Thrillist, Lyonne suggested that multiple versions of Nadia might exist in the world of Russian Doll:
“There’s always a million yous walking around. It just depends on which one you’re going to put on today. It raises the question of how many versions [of the characters] are there all together? That’s certainly something that was considered.”
Lyonne also hinted about the upcoming seasons that: “In this video game sense, it presents a question of do they in fact enter a whole new sort of scenario in that moment that they kind of completed that round?”
- More About Russian Doll