Get ready to immerse yourself into the Star Wars universe as Disney CEO Bob Iger has revealed that season 2 of The Mandalorian will have a release date of 30th October 2020. The production had already begun in November 2019 and completed in March 2020 as actress Gino Carrano took to her Instagram handle to post a photo of the wrap up of season 2.
Star Wars: The Mandalorian, is an American tv series and spin-off of the Star Wars directed written by John Favreau and released by Disney on 12 November 2019. The storyline which is set 5 years after the events of the Return of The Jedi and 25 years prior to the events of The Force Awakens depicts the story of a lone bounty hunter called Din Djarin and his travels in the outer reaches of the galaxy, far from the authority of the New Republic. The show has been nominated for the prestigious primetime Emmy awards 15 times along with the nominations of actors Giancarlo Esposito and Taika Waititi and composer Ludwig Goransson.
Star Cast- The Mandalorian Season 2
- Pedro Pascal playing the title character of the show Din Djarin/The Mandalorian (a “foundling” who was rescued at a young age by Mandalorians during the clone wars) and also quite famous for his roles in ‘The Game of Thrones’ and ‘Narcos’ will definitely be back.
- It has been reported that ‘Briarpatch’ star Rosario Dawson would be seen in a guest appearance in the second season playing Ashoka Tano who is Anakin Skywalker’s apprentice and one of the central characters of the popular show “Star Wars: The Clone Wars”.
- Showrunner might also play a role in the show as we can make out from one of his interviews to the Entertainment Weekly as he says “We’re working on season 2, writing, prepping with the directors and getting ready to direct me actually”’
- Santa Clarita Diet star Timothy Olyphant is rumored to be playing Cobb Vanth.
- Temuera Morrison who played Jango Fett in the prequels and has also voiced Boba Fett in the past will be playing the notorious Bounty hunter Bobba Fett.
- Battlestar Galactica actress Katee Sackhoff will reprise her clone wars character Bo-Katan Kryze.
- Sci-fi legend Michael Biehn will also be playing a part in season 2
- Carl Weather will not only be playing Greef Carga but is also rumored to have directed one of the episodes.
- Gina Carano as Cara Dune
- Ginacarlo Esposito as Moff Gideon
- Werner Herzog as the client
- Nick Nolte as Kuiil
- And of course, the adorable and force-wielding 50-year-old toddler Baby Yoda.
The Mandalorian Season 2 Release Date
The Mandalorian Season 2 has a release date of 30th October 2020. It was announced in February this year and has been re-confirmed by Disney’s earnings call in August despite the uncertainty because of the current situation. Disney’s CEO Bob Chapek has also confirmed through CNBC that in spite of the shutdown of a majority of productions across the board, there would be no impact as such on the release of ‘The Mandalorians’ and would be released with “no delay” to the relief of the fans.
Trailers usually arrive in the month following up to the premiere so it is expected for the teasers and footage to be seen by the end of September or early October.
The Mandalorian season 3 is also in works according to Variety.
PLOT THAT WE COULD EXPECT
Season 1 ended on a note with Baby Yoda and Mando going off into the search of ‘The Child’s’ home planet and though it is not really a cliffhanger many questions in the minds of fans remain unanswered which are expected to be cleared out in season 2.
Presumably, the story will follow Din/Djarin in his search for bringing baby Yoda back. This put him in the eyes of the evil Moff Gideon and the pursuit of him is likely to be what we might get to see in season2. Giancarlo Esposito playing this role of the villainous Moff Gideon who was introduced toward the end of the series and is supposed to have a deadly connection to ‘The Mandalorian’s’ past and to be in possession of a powerful artifact from the Mandalorian lore: The Dark Saber; recently teased the fans by saying that they might expect to see more wielding of the powerful weapon and get to know a lot of its history.
In one of his interviews with the Deadline in July he said, “you’ll see more of the Darksaber, you’ll get the explanation of this ancient weapon to the modern world, a collapsed world. Where did this Saber come from and how was it revived? It’s a key in our second season which will be back sooner or later. [The Saber] is a key to Moff Gideon’s past, which possibly has a lot to do with where he comes from and his desire to build a planet and bring it back together”
Other plot-threads that were left open and are expected to be resolved are:
- The identity of the ‘Client’.
- More information and history of Baby Yoda as Yoda’s species is unnamed in the first season.
Characters from The Star Wars: The Clone Wars are expected to appear in the second season along with the pig-like alien race first introduced in Star Wars: Episode VI- Return of the Jedi.
In one of the conference calls with Collider Disney’s CEO Bob Iger hints at the introduction of new characters in season 2 of the series ‘The Mandalorian’ as he says, “ The priority in the next few years is television with The Mandalorian season 2 with a release date in October, and then more coming from The Mandalorian thereafter, including the possibility of infusing it with more characters and the possibility of taking those directions in terms of series”. It also suggests that the fans might be in for exploring some new characters in the upcoming series. John Favreau is now busy writing the plot of the upcoming season 3 of ‘The Mandalorian’ and Lucasfilm’s art department is already prepping up for the next set of episodes to be filmed.