Six months after discontinuing to be working members of the British royal family, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have founded a production company. They signed a multiyear deal with Netflix on Wednesday (September 2, 2020). The name of the company is not confirmed yet. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ‘s Netflix based production company will create documentaries, feature films, scripted shows and children’s shows.
Meghan and Harry, the latter being the second son of Prince Charles, abruptly announced in January that they planned to drop their royal titles, seek financial independence, and spend part of the year living in the southern part of Los Angeles. After moving to London, Meghan Markle retired from acting and started undertaking public engagements as part of the British royal family. She even removed herself from social media.
Her last show as an actress was in the American TV series, “Suits” in 2018. Before he gave up his Royal Highness title, Harry signed on for a project with Ms. Oprah Winfrey and Apple TV+ involving mental health. While Meghan was a voice-over artist for “Elephant,” a nature documentary that arrived on Disney+ in April.
Royal fans mocked Prince Harry and Meghan Markle for associating with Netflix after they quit the UK for ‘quiet life’ as it is quite contrary to what they expect to be quiet.
“Our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope,” the couple said in a statement. “As new parents, making inspirational family programming is also important to us.” They added that Netflix’s “unprecedented reach will help us share impactful content that unlocks action.”
While details are still to be announced about their first shows, Netflix has said there were already several projects in development. An animated series focused on inspiring women will be released soon. According to the New York Times. their productions will be exclusive to Netflix, which is a host to 193 million subscribers worldwide. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have also been rumored to be involved in talks with NBC and Disney before signing with Netflix. Two executives involved in those discussions said representatives for the couple at one point were seeking a deal in the neighborhood of $100 million. Variety reported last month that the couple had also met with NBC Universal.
In a statement, the couple said: “Our lives, both independent of each other, and as a couple have allowed us to understand the power of the human spirit: of courage, resilience, and the need for connection.”
Netflix is receiving tough competition from its rivals in streaming services like Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney+, etc. Family programming is particularly important to Netflix, and Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will mostly be producing shows on topics related to women’s empowerment, civil rights, wildlife conservation, mental health, sport, and the military which are a center of attention in Hollywood recently. It is not known how much the couple will be paid for producing the content, but reports Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could earn almost £200 million.
“We’re incredibly proud they have chosen Netflix as their creative home and are excited about telling stories with them that can help build resilience and increase understanding for audiences everywhere,” Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s co-chief executive and chief content officer, said in a statement.”